Thursday, March 17, 2016

From Democrat to Republican

The political party I have chosen to identify with since 1988 is the Republican Party.  I had embraced liberalism  and the Democratic Party before then.  But as I matured and considered bigger issues, I saw that the Democrats and I were on different sides on the morality of abortion.  They spoke of "choice" but then that "choice" had been carried out millions of times since the Roe v. Wade decision.  In the face of obvious scientific evidence that a fetus is very much a human life, the Democrat Party refused to consider that fact and sought only to placate its strident feminists who made that abortion rights plank mandatory.

Plus, by 1988, it was clear that Ronald Reagan's strong military and supply side economics had America winning the Cold War and bringing prosperity to the people of the United States. So, I voted proudly for George Bush in 1988 and was very happy that he won.  His stewardship over the next four years was excellent but nonetheless, he faced opposition from those mad that he allowed a tax hike to pass and Ross Perot who didn't support free trade and thought the deficit was too high.  This opened the door for a non-majority victory (43%) for Bill Clinton.

Why all this history?  I'll get to that in my next post. . . .

No comments: