Thursday, February 13, 2014

Organic foods and GMO foods

Lots of friends avoid GMO foods -- genetically modified --  or buy organic foods.  Or maybe they need to avoid wheat products (gluten-free) or just believe they have a food addiction disease.  Here's my question:  What's their goal with that diet?  Athletic success?  Weight loss?  Avoiding illness?  Extended life span?

My philosophy is moderation.  Red meat, doughnuts, apple pie, white bread, beer, hot dogs, coffee, pork chops, tortilla chips, etc  Just not too much.  And add in healthy things like apples, oranges, peas and corn.

Maybe I'm blessed with a genetic disposition that doesn't penalize me for eating this way.  My latest physical exam came out just fine.  The best thing is food is a very small part of my life unlike my friends who must buy organic and avoid the GMO foods and worry about their food addictions.

Hmmm . . .Is this politics?  Well, yes, as people press for legislation to restrict food choices (trans-fat bans, 16 oz. soda limits) or are upset with Monsanto for whatever they do that supposedly modifies foods. Those are political acts.

No comments: