Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Sarah Palin's Resignation as Alaska Governor

I am a big fan and defender of Sarah Palin's.  I was not pushing for her to be the V-P nominee last Summer, as many conservatives successfully did.  I thought a Mitt Romney would be more conventional.  But I had seen her months before on C-SPAN and she impressed me.  And as I learned her life story, I really grew to admire her.  And once she spoke to the convention, I was blown away!  Wow!

However, her decision to leave the Alaska governorship does not please me.  I like it when our elected officials fulfill the "contract" that they signed when they sought election.  I could see her stepping down when she learned she was pregnant, or after the birth of Trig, or after she learned her 17 year old daughter was pregnant.  I think most of us would respect decisions to take care of family first.  The timing of this resignation just doesn't make the same kind of sense.  Yes, I have heard her say that Alaska deserves a governor who isn't fighting phony ethics charges all the time.  Maybe that's true.  But all politics is brutal these days.  I will agree that her family has gotten hit way too hard at a time when children of politicians should be off limits.  

We are 40 months away from the next presidential election.  That's a long time, so I wish Sarah well and we will see how things develop in the next couple of years.  I will not hold this decision against her.  Maybe it is important for some people to pick their candidates this early, but for most of us, we can wait until 2012.

No comments: